WELCOME TO ANNIE'S ANTICS!

Annie and Geordie

Annie and Geordie
Christmas Eve 2009
0

Frieda Updates, Improvements, Great Visits...Thanks To You Who Have Never Given Up!! This Post is for YOU!

Posted by Annie on 12:01 AM in , ,

I haven't been giving as many "Frieda updates" for many reasons...too many rumors flying, too much negative chatter, etc. I elected to continue doing what I've been doing...which is praying for Frieda, helping Frieda, loving Frieda and reminding her constantly just how much she is loved and missed by so many.
We have had several good visits. I was so overwhelmed with our Thanksgiving visit, that I couldn't even post about it. It was a grand day, it was beautiful outside, so we actually went outside and relished things we all take for granted like FRESH AIR, WARM SUNSHINE, THE BLAZE OF A BIG RED TREE in all it's autumn glory, etc. I realized that Frieda is so communicative with her face, hands, eyes, shoulders, etc. that NOT ONE TIME did I have to even look at her leg to check for "yes" or "no" indications.
Another visit, I gave her a haircut. I'm certainly no cosmetologist, but it was a "have to" situation, so after the hair cut, I washed Frieda's hair. The staff was attentive and got the things that were needed to give her a wonderful, warm, relaxing wash. That visit we stayed for quite a long time. Steve and Jodie DeVera came and visited. Wayne and I left for a while to let them visit with Frieda, as they had not seen her since she was at Craven. They came to Craven, but did not get to see her, so they stayed in the waiting room, praying and offering support from that place. I was SO thrilled that they got to spend time with their dear friend.
After a trip to Walgreens to get some "fun stuff' for Frieda, and a couple of errands, we returned and continued a our visit. Frieda was in high spirits. Geordie was with us, as he has been all of our visits of late. Frieda LOVES rubbing him with her foot and having him get where she can rub him with her hand.
That's kind of a "reader's digest" version of how things have been of late and we couldn't be happier.
Tonight was truly remarkable. When we arrived, the speech therapist who has worked with Frieda at Pitt was there. He was working on having Frieda spell words. When we arrived, he had the letter board and Frieda held a pen. Jeff asked "who is that?" and pointed at me. The pen moved to the "A," then "N," then "N" and by then I was in tears, thanking God and totally amazed.
Frieda spelled out Wayne, Geordie, Oriental, when Jeff asked questions about who they are, where she lived, etc. Jeff asked her what she liked to do for fun and something about Wayne and she spelled out "G-O-L-F!" GOLF! Next, Jeff asked her about her brother and she took the pen and pointed to an "S." Then she began "S-A-N-D-Y." Sandy. I asked her what "his son's name is" and that was the ONLY way it was said..."what is his son's name?" She pointed without hesitation "H-A-N-K." Hank. It was amazing. Jeff asked her to spell her daughter's names and she did the same thing "N-A-N-C-Y" and "J-E-S-S-I-C-A." She was so pleased with herself! Wayne and I were just completely thrilled, overwhelmed and humbled, When asked "Where she would like to be right now" she looked at Wayne and me and spelled "P-O-R-C-H." I was so stunned that words even escape me now. She wanted to be on our porch...and God knows I would give anything if you were sitting right out there with us right now Frieda. Another question Jeff asked was "what do you like to do with Anne?" She spelled "T-A-L-K" We all laughed and she grinned from ear to ear!
After Jeff finished their session, he left to do his paperwork and checked back in later. We talked, visited, held hands, and updated on Frieda on things in our world. She was very engaged and laughed as we share memories, things she had teased me about in the past, etc. It was wonderful. We had been told that cell phones didn't ring in the facility, so I never even take mine inside. Wayne had his phone on his side and out of the clear blue IT RANG!!! It was Sandy Winfrey on the phone...so we put the phone up to Frieda's ear and Sandy got to have a great conversation with his sister! He teased her, he talked to her, he told her he loved her and she was completely engaged. She was over the moon to get to talk on the phone. It got emotional for each of them at points and rightfully so. She was so happy to be talking on the phone to Sandy and it felt normal to her. It was so evident that she was totally loving it, yet a reminder of "how things are." That said, Wayne and I also watched courage and strength gather in Frieda. She knows fully what is ahead and she is totally prepared for every step of it. Although Sandy of course, couldn't "see" it through the phone, she was giving him a thumb's up MANY times as they talked. I like to think that God gave Frieda and Sandy a little miracle in allowing that phone to ring in that room tonight.
I'm still so overwhelmed with all I saw tonight and all I have seen of late, it's very emotional for me to type this all out. Just know that your prayers ARE WORKING. Just know that FRIEDA REMEMBERS and she knows what's ahead, yet she remembers all that she once did and that is what she is determined to get back to. Please continue to have faith in Frieda. Please continue to PRAY for her and love her. She needs to see her friends. She needs to know that all of you out there haven't given up on her.
These things take time. It's emotionally so hard on everyone involved, but the focus needs to remain on helping Frieda. We worked on her hands and shoulders tonight. She LOVED it. She pointed to the word "YES" when I asked if it felt good to move her body. I massaged her feet while she and Wayne simply held hands. She opened her hand to him and motioned for him to take it. It was a priceless time to watch two friends simply loving one another. No words were necessary...and I have learned through this that there are MANY times that words are basically worthless. It's the ACTIONS that carry the most impact.
With that, I will close and just let all these last visits sink in more. It's really hard to fathom at times, yet, I have expected NOTHING else of Frieda Hudson during all of this. Those who know her well have expressed to me that they have felt the exact same way.
You just wait! She'll be back! She knows she lives on BROAD STREET and spelled that out "BROAD." Seeing that let's me know with complete certainty that she doesn't intend to stay in a nursing facility for one second longer than in necessary for her healing and rehabilitation.
Thank you God for continuing to show us all YOUR power and that indeed you do have a plan for Frieda that is far greater than we can even imagine.
Thank you Frieda for continuing to show the world that you're not a quitter.
I'll post another update again in the next few days. Sorry it's been so long...it's just been so emotional and I have wanted to keep our visits and our closeness between us...but I realized tonight that ALL of you who have continued to pray for and support Frieda NEED to know what wonderful things she is doing. Sandy and I talked after we left and he and Karen want you all to know how much your love and support and BELIEF in Frieda's recovery mean to them as well.
KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON FRIEDA!! YOU ARE AMAZING!

|

0 Comments

Award Winning Zimbio Contributor

My Zimbio

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates