WELCOME TO ANNIE'S ANTICS!

Annie and Geordie

Annie and Geordie
Christmas Eve 2009
2

Finding the Divine in Difficult Places. Lessons about growing, learning and receiving as well as giving.


(photo credit Heather Mays, Triple Dog Dare Photography)
Life appears so stressful, so complicated, so scary, uncertain...and all the things the 25 HOUR A DAY (yes, it seems that way!) news channels throw at us.
Guilty as charged. I'm a fan, I like to be informed, I like to know what is going on around me, most of which of late, I do not enjoy. I'm not liking what they're throwing at me.
That said, I have to disengage and decompress and make a solid assessment of what I DO have in life that is "GOOD!"
I am alive. That is a great start.
I have wonderful friends, ones that I see often, others that I do not see often, but are so dear to my heart regardless of the miles.
I have an AMAZING family. I couldn't be more proud of the love, support and cheering on that they continually supply me with.
You don't get the HAPPY FAMILY stories on the 25 hour a day news networks. I think part of the business plan is to keep people in such a dither that it's addictive and keeps you coming back for more...and after they "have you," you get a daily dose of depression. Since when is that good?
The most recent story I want to share is one that shows "what friendship means." We don't know how or why paths cross with people. Some click, some are acquaintances and others touch your heart in such profound ways that just WOW you.
I was having "one of those days" on Saturday. It actually started on Friday, but I'll get to that in a bit. A lot was going on personally for me. In addition to my beloved Geordie being diagnosed with cancer, there were other things just mounting up that felt completely out of control. Now, I'm one of those who will smile and it would appear that all is right in Annie's little world. I show VERY little when anything is wrong unless I WANT you to know. I don't know if that's a good thing or a character flaw, but it's "me." I think a lot of that was ingrained in me from being a performer. "The show must go on." I could have been having THE worst day ever and when I step on a stage, the lights go up and it's all smiles, sunshine, jokes and "the stage Annie" goes to work. I've learned to deftly go in and out of those positions with ease. It's part of the job.
Back to Saturday...bad day. A really sucky day. My friend Heather who has become such a deep part of my heart has figured me out. (Doggone her!) She knew I'd just go into myself and work things out on my own. So do any of you readers ever do that? *the truth inserted here* A REALLY good friend drops what she may have planned and shows up, armed with love, support, plenty of things to talk about and determined I wouldn't be alone with my thoughts. She loved me enough to show up, say, "HEY. I'm here" and whatever you need, I'm with you. WOW. Not used to a lot of that. Also, the day before, she had gone ahead and planned, because she knew I would not ask, to take the day off work and accompany me to Geordie's second chemo treatment. Extra pairs of ears are essential in understanding his progress and what is happening in his treatment. In typical fashion, Heather had that day planned too. Armed with a cooler full of drinks and CHOCOLATE and other snacks,she arrived sometime after 6am and our day together began. She kept all the waiting hours busy doing "something" to pass the time, keeping my mind off worry and the next thing you know, it's time to return to North Carolina State University Veterinary Hospital to pick up Geordie from his treatment. WE HAD A BALL! I have no words to express the gratitude that I felt for someone being SO observant, looking past my quirks and saying, "Hey friend, I love you and this is how it's going to be." I followed her lead like my goats follow me with a feed bucket!
In "times like these," when we are fed the most incredible negative energy that I think this earth has ever experienced, it is beyond refreshing to have someone who comes into your heart and says, "I'm here for you" with actions, not just words.
America needs to reach back to those places of close families, close friends, sticking out the hard times, ALLOWING people to help you when you are in need, and demanding a simple life again.
I do think this can be accomplished, but it takes WORK. My friend WORKED out of sheer love to make two difficult days actually become HAPPY DAYS for me. That is remarkable.
People are busy, their problems are "more important," they have too much on their plates and there is so much fear. Americans have become, like myself, too "inward" as well.
As friends, as neighbors, as AMERICANS, do we allow LOVE to guide us? Or do we allow fear to paralyze us into zombies that just plod along through our gift of life?
I'm a "giver." I'd give anyone anything I have. Giving to others gives ME pleasure. I am also a hypocrite. I do not "receive" very well at all. (Remember? I told you, I'm conditioned to be Little Miss Susie Sunshine and never let 'em see me sweat.)
I'm re-thinking a lot of this. I was BLESSED for two days by someone who gave of herself and her time to help ME. Had I tried to hold a stiff upper lip, I would have DENIED my friend the very pleasure of helping someone in need. The very thing that I so much enjoy doing for others. Yin and Yang. It has to go both ways.
This has been a true eye-opening lesson for me.
We must be able to allow ourselves to give AND to receive. It cannot be out of balance of course, because that just defeats the entire purpose of living from a place of "love."
At 47, I continue to grow, to learn to accept the generosity of others and I am so grateful for these life lessons that continue to come to me.
In closing, what could have been two very bad days, were WONDERFUL days as a result of one observant friend who took the time to observe me, know me and love me enough to "save me from myself."
Challenge: Look around your world, your family, your friends...reach out of the comfort zones and DO something for someone. I promise, they will appreciate it and you both with be the benefactors of something beautiful.
Thank you Heather. Thank you to ALL of my friends...and if you need me, please just holler. I'll try to be observant too. Switch off the scary stuff, or at least keep up with events in increments...but do yourself and all those around you a favor and do some good deeds for others.
There's a quote I refer to often, "Be kind to everyone you meet because you never know what battles they are fighting." Take that literally because the eyes and the smiles we "see" on others many times do not reveal the truth what is going on INSIDE a human heart.
It takes a friend to be a friend.
Till next time,
Annie

|

2 Comments


Well said Anne. Love, strength, respect, soul, spirit, compassion, and honor all come to mind through your very warm personal thought. I think most of us share these ideas.


Thanks for sharing this reminder that we all need to find balance in our lives.

Award Winning Zimbio Contributor

My Zimbio

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates